Upgrading to the Matrix R2 Diffs

Matrix C1 Buggy, Matrix TR Arena Truggy

Moderator: CEN Racing

Re: Upgrading to the Matrix R2 Diffs

Postby trarena on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:33 am

yep, the single part number upgrade kit is a great idea ruune - maybe even have an upgrade kit full stop i.e. diffs, wing mounts, new rims etc. Basically anything that will cross over from the new R2 PRO race version to the C1. Your efforts are appreciated on this one dude.
trarena
CENsational
CENsational

Postby Andrew Smolnik on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:28 pm

Andrew Smolnik
CEN Troop
CEN Troop

Postby NeoNot on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:47 pm

From the pics in the link it looks like the bevel gear has the same pitch as the C1 diffs. Is there going to be an option for the the FRE diffs or will we have to swap the bevel gear for the FRE bevel gear?
NeoNot
CEN Troop
CEN Troop

Postby NeoNot on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:22 pm

The only problem with that is I would have to replace the input gear as well. The original FRE, or at least my FRE came with a bevel gear that had several more teeth on it. It doesnt look like it would match up with the current bevel gear on the R2 diff conversion.

I am beginning to think I am one of few people that got an FRE with the high tooth count bevel gear. I have only seen one other person post about this type of gear and that was at least two years ago. I believe I have one of the first FRE's that was released to the public.

This gear looks closer to the bevel that came in my kit.

This is the C1 gear.

And here is the R2 Gear.

From looking at the pics it appears to have more teeth than the C1 gear but it appears to have the same pitch as the C1 while the FRE gear at the top seems to have a different pitch.
I know I tried to switch to some C1 diff's a long time ago due to the gearing difference and the gear mesh was not the same for the my FRE diff to the C1.
NeoNot
CEN Troop
CEN Troop

Postby cadpilot on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:52 pm

I just got my package from CEN with the new diffs and new plastic. WOW! I can see how the new diffs are so much lighter than the originals. I can't wait to get them in the buggy.
cadpilot
CEN Supporter
CEN Supporter

Postby trarena on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:09 pm

Ruune wrote:Some of you have expressed interest in upgrading your diffs, etc. So, I've decided to compile a list of each "category" and provide the info in a topic for each category.

Here is a preliminary list of the part numbers and quantities needed for a matrix buggy diff upgrade:

MX227 Brake Outdrivers, R2 Qty:1
G73914 Ball Bearing 8x16x5 Qty:3
G36902 Shim 8x11.5 Qty:2
MX228 Spur Gear T46, R2 Qty:1
G36908 Washer 4x11x0.2 Qty:3 (optionl and not added yet, as of this writing. Will modify when part is listed)
G36261 Set Screw 4x4 Qty:1
MX229 Diff Case, R2 Qty:3
MX231 Diff. Gears, R2 Qty:3
MX230 Cross Pins, R2 Qty:3
MX232 Outdriver, R2 Qty:2
MX233 Ring Gear, R2 Qty:2
MX255 Bevel Pinion Gear, R2 Qty:2
MX252 Joint Cup, R2 Qty:2

I'm going to try for a single part number "package deal" that includes everything. However, I will need to validate this and ensure I didnt leave anything off.

After building my new diffs they feel a little "geary" if you know what I mean. I notice that I did not receive part number G36908 (i note Ruunes comment above but they are included on the parts list when i ordered thru CEN direct). Anyways, I built the second diff using some 4x11 kyosho diff shims on the end on the cross pins between the spider gears and the diff case and they seem to work well. I also used one of the CEN 8x11 shims between the outdrive and the bearing at the 'diff cas' end and no shims at the ring gear end. Diffs feel alot smoother. Anyone else experimenting?
trarena
CENsational
CENsational

Postby moto775 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Yes, I am currently trying to put three R2 diffs in my modified GSR 5.0. Amazingly enough, the fit right in with only one small problem - the hole in the GSR 5.0 outdrives for the pin is just a tad larger. Right now I am not too sure how I am going to go about doing this - the groove in the R2 inner diff gear for the pin is also a bit longer. I also want to make sure that is a perfect fit so that there is no play. Ideally, I would need a pin that is wider in the center to accomodate to GSR 5.0 outdrive, then steps down a little for the R2 inner diff gear slot, and that way I could continue to run the GSR 5.0 shafts out to the wheels. Hmm.

Any advice out there, maybe from the CEN guys, about how to go about making this work. I thought about switching to the Matrix driveshafts with the R2 outdrives, but I have no idea if the dogbone length would be correct - looks like the Matrix and front Arena wheel axles would sit in the GSR 5.0 hub/bearing assemblies... So close right now.
moto775
CEN Troop
CEN Troop

Postby moto775 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:36 am

Ok, I hope this doensn't seem like a silly question - why does the R2 diff case have a hole in it? I am trying to get this together now, and wondering about putting the silicone oil in there.

Also, is there a cheaper way to get shipping on the site - I would like to order 18.00 worth of shims, but I'm not going to pay 21.00 for shipping. I didn't think USPS is going to charge that much, anyway, for 6 ounces of metal shims. I am also trying to get the G36908 shims (small 4 x 11 x .2 ones), but they aren't showing up.

that is so that you can get the pin in there. once you have it all together, you use a set screw to close it off,

shipping... choose UPS. They can be cheaper, depending on where you are.
moto775
CEN Troop
CEN Troop

poosting coomments................

Postby Naveed123 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:09 pm

This is very very nice and wonderful post.................... :geek: :geek:
pass 4 sure pass 4 sure
web hosting reviews by envisionwebhosting web hosting reviews by envisionwebhosting
Naveed123
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Return to CEN 1/8 Matrix