Update your CEN Matrix!!!! NEW PARTS!!!

Matrix C1 Buggy, Matrix TR Arena Truggy

Moderator: CEN Racing

Re: Update your CEN Matrix!!!! NEW PARTS!!!

Postby trarena on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:13 pm

D BALLA wrote:I Just finished my full upgrade. There was some problems that you need to know if you are going to use the stock C-1 Center shafts. you will need to use the Stock center drive cups, then new one are longer so they work with the new cups. But the old one's are shorter so just keep that in mind. All in all the car is 7lbs with all the updated parts.

1. If you mean the new brake driver cups (MX227) can not be used with the old drive shafts (MX048) because the old drive shafts are too short then why not just shim between the pinion shaft and the centre drive to effectively push it further in to the brake driver cup?

2. If you mean the new brake driver cups can not be used with the old drive shafts because the old drive shafts are too long (i.e. the new drive cups are too long) then why not just shave the pinion shaft to pull the centre drive back a little from the brake driver cup (as we do with the HB gear on the BCE Arena)?

I personally am going to use either the Kyosho lightened centre uni's (because I already have them) or the CEN MXS50 lightened dog bone with the new drive cups (MX252??) until CEN release the new pro kit which I am hoping will have new lightened uni's all round.

I am not so sure about the idea of using the old out drives with the new diffs as the pin that holds the out drive in place is a different diameter - the same applies to using the MX301 truggy outdrives with the new diffs. But I have not personally tried it yet... maybe we can await a report on that from the official CEN product tester Ruune!! :lol:
trarena
CENsational
CENsational

Postby FastXR on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:04 pm

OK as promised I finally got around to comparing the new Matrix II composite parts to the previous Matrix so here is all the parts that I had spares for side by side with their new part as well as a shot of each part on a scale for weight reference. Note: The original Matrix part is always on the left and the new one on the right in the comparison pics.. I hope this is usefull to some people out there. (Ruune feel free to move this post and link to it if it gets too lengthy for this thread.)

First off we have:

Wing Mount

Wing Mount (old) - 24.8 grams

Wing Mount (New) - 24.5 grams

Front Lower Arms

Front Lower Arms (old) - 27.6 grams (each)

Front Lower Arms (new) - 26.7 grams (each)

Rear Arms

Rear Arms (old) - 31.6 grams (each)

Rear Arms (new) - 27.6 grams (each)

Front Hubs

Front Hubs (old) - 12.5 grams (each)

Front Hubs (new) - 12.5 grams (each)

Front Upper Arms

Front Upper Arms (old) - 5.0 grams (each)

Front Upper Arms (new) - 5.3 grams (each)

Side Mud Guards (compared to mud guards on FRE)

So the total mass of all of the old parts (including L+R arms, hubs) is 178.2 grams and the total mass of the new parts is 156.2 grams for a total weight savings of 22 grams. Anyway thats all I have for now, when I have them installed I will take some more pictures and when I purchase more Matrix II parts I will post up the differences of them as well.
CEN Army Member
CEN GST 7.7 - VG roll cage, Nova RC head, Nemesis diffs/shaft
CEN Matrix TR FRE - RCM Brushless Conv, Neu 1515/2.5D, CC MMM esc, Neu Energy 5s Lipos
FastXR
CEN Supporter
CEN Supporter

Postby deastyboy on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 pm

That is some awesome info, thanks for taking the time.

db
2009 RCPro Alberta Int. Buggy Champ
CEN R2 FTE Swap
CEN BCE Tr Arena
deastyboy
CEN Troop
CEN Troop

Postby FastXR on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:58 am

Ruune wrote:yeah... thats awesome! you might also want to compare the weight of the entire upper a-arms w/ the metal portions as well... I think you'll see a significant weight reduction in those too!

Thanks for the props guys!

As far as the arm goes, I think I may be missing some pieces as the kit I received didnt come with turnbuckles or the rod ends to complete the upper A-Arms. It appears that I can NOT reuse the original parts as the diameter of the turnbuckle seems to be different and the turnbuckle would need to be shorter as the hinged portion of the arm appears longer. What parts am I missing and should they have come in the kit I ordered? Kinda sucks if I have to order more parts now just to use them and pay shipping again.
CEN Army Member
CEN Matrix TR FRE - RCM Brushless Conv, Neu 1515/2.5D, CC MMM esc, Neu Energy 5s Lipos
FastXR
CEN Supporter
CEN Supporter

Postby trarena on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:34 am

I had some parts missing from my order but I don't think the turnbuckle ali parts or rod ends were ever included in the upgrade kit. I think the same thing applies with the new wing mount brace - you'll get the new composite wing mount but not the new composite cross brace.

I've built the new diffs and will take some pics and weight comparisons with the old ones tonight.
trarena
CENsational
CENsational

Postby FastXR on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:40 pm

I noticed that the wing brace wasnt included in the parts kit either, I assumed that the posts from the old wing mount would fit but maybe not. :roll: Will there be another kit I can buy that is " an everything not included in the other kits, kit?" Or do I have to go hunt all this stuff down, if so I hope someone can help me out cause I really dont want to make six orders and have to pay shipping each time.
CEN Army Member
FastXR
CEN Supporter
CEN Supporter

Postby FastXR on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Ruune wrote:email customerservice@cenracing.com and tell them that MX265 was not included in your plastics kit- be sure to include the order number. If you dont get a response, PM me and I'll follow up.

Thanks Ruune I did email CEN CC and already recieved a response from Andy, suwwweeet! When can we expect more upgrade packages?
CEN Army Member
FastXR
CEN Supporter
CEN Supporter

Postby FastXR on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:41 am

I'd like to see a package with driveline components, but I think you had mentioned that some of the parts arent going to be available until the FRE version comes out? Also is there a new clear body available for the Matrix II yet?
CEN Army Member
FastXR
CEN Supporter
CEN Supporter

Postby Tonyy on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:44 pm

i did not get it. i just moded my heres a pic
but i do got to say the new car is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tonyy
CEN Troop
CEN Troop

Postby deastyboy on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:06 pm

Tonyy wrote:i did not get it. i just moded my heres a pic...
but i do got to say the new car is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it has something to do with the difference between the alu posts you've shown and the composite piece that is supposed to come with the wing mount...?
2009 RCPro Alberta Int. Buggy Champ
CEN R2 FTE Swap
CEN BCE Tr Arena
deastyboy
CEN Troop
CEN Troop

PreviousNext

Return to CEN 1/8 Matrix