GST 7.7 engine and starter shaft

Post here if you have any questions about your CEN prodcut or need assistance on getting them going.

Moderator: CEN Racing

GST 7.7 engine and starter shaft

Postby glenatron on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:33 pm

I'm in the process of break-in on the GST 7.7. The pull starter works fine, but the starter shaft is not turning the crank shaft.
I pulled the back plate off and the pin on the crank shaft does not extend past the connecting rod for the starter shaft groove to catch. Can the pin slide inwards? This engine is new.
glenatron
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Re: GST 7.7 engine and starter shaft

Postby JAT on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:21 am

Hello,

Take the pin out is there should be a spring behind the pin. perhaps it is stuck. This is an older design where did you purchase from.
JAT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glenatron on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:31 am

eBay, RC Discount Stores. How can you get to the pin out? It looks like everything comes out the back, but the connecting rod keeps it from going that direction. Can it be upgraded easy enough or should I send it back?
glenatron
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby JAT on Thu May 01, 2014 2:38 am

Sorry my mistake on the spring part as i was thinking you have an older ver engine.

When you put the back plate back on leave the pull starter off. Take the glow plug out and turn the clutch see if the starter shaft turns.

Does your starter shaft look like

1 Image

2Image

and does the crank have a solid pin like this

JAT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glenatron on Thu May 01, 2014 11:51 am

Mine looks like # 2, it has the slot machined in the back of the starter shaft.
RC Discount Superstore gets them from HRP Distributing. I called them and they said they have not had the older version for 6 months. I just bought this April 14.
glenatron
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby glenatron on Thu May 01, 2014 11:54 am

My crank shaft does not have a solid pin either. So I'm assuming mine is older?
glenatron
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby JAT on Fri May 02, 2014 4:15 am

To be honest i have had both engines and the older type seems to rev harder well seems to :) .

You have the older ver
I would say that the small pin and spring was stuck from sitting so long which would give you the problem of not engaging.

When you pulled the back plate off maybe the pin and spring have flung out. I say this from past experience.

So you have no 2 starter shaft which is fine and all good as you can see in the picture this type of starter requires the crank to have a small pin and a spring which sits inside a small hole see picture with (red circle) do you have the pin and spring? If you don't then you wont be able to start the engine. Let me have a look around in my spare parts box i may have a spare i can send you just pay postage. Or you can buy from here http://cenracing.shptron.com/p/g70357-35-starter-shaft-spring/rev-line-engines?pp=25

Please take some pictures close up of the crank let have a look.
JAT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glenatron on Fri May 02, 2014 7:42 am

I appreciate your help, thanks! I have the pin and spring, it is still stuck. I got it out once but I pushed on it again so I could see why it was sticking and now it's stuck again. (should've left it alone) I need to see how to get it to release or get it out.
I'm trying to get a picture over but it didn't work last time. I will keep trying.

Colossus engine starter shaft and crank 002.jpg

Colossus engine starter shaft and crank 006.jpg

(I don't think it worked)
glenatron
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby glenatron on Fri May 02, 2014 7:43 am

YES! It did.
glenatron
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby JAT on Sat May 03, 2014 1:18 am

Good news that you have the pin and spring you just need to get them out.

Put a few drops of thin oil in where they are stuck and give the end of the crank (clutch side) then give a few taps it might pop out. Also try a sharp pin
JAT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Customer Service / Tech Support