When did Cen change the NX-76 motor?

Post here if you have any questions about your CEN prodcut or need assistance on getting them going.

Moderator: CEN Racing

When did Cen change the NX-76 motor?

Postby MonsterAir on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:08 pm

My GST wasn't running all that well so I decided to replace some engine parts. Crank, crank case, piston/sleeve and clutch shoes. Looked on the Cen site for the part numbers and ordered away. Get my parts a few days later and the crank has a pin and spring instead of a fixed pin to grab the starter plate. Install everything and all fit snug. Go to fire up the truck for a break in and every time it would want to fire up the stupid pin falls out! I must have pulled the motor over 10x to re fix that pin. On the final time it fell out and tore up my whole brand new motor. A few days of searching and asking questions I finally found out that Cen has changed things around in this engine. WHY!!!! It cost me my motor! Yes maybe I should have realized when the crank was different but all fit snug. Why did you guys change the parts without changing part numbers? It seems this pin and spring is causing myself and others trouble. Also Why not put an astric on your engine page informing customers that we need a different starter plate now. Very upset about this because I put the hobby on hold for a few yrs and now I get back into it and this happens.
MonsterAir
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Re: When did Cen change the NX-76 motor?

Postby CEN Racing on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:11 am

HI Matt

Thank you for choosing CEN Racing and sorry to hear about your trouble. Though your concern will be much easier to solve by emailing customerservice@cenracing.com but we will do our best to assist you. Can you please provide us with your order number so we can trace what was ordered and what was shipped to you?

There are two types of NX76 motor. One utilizing crank spring/pin and one without.

The original Genesis 46, earlier generation of GST 7.7, and the Colossus Nitro all uses the same design which has the pin/spinrg.

The only truck that has the crank without pin/spring were GST sold between 2009-2011. This design didn't generate the additional horsepower and efficiency we expected, in fact, they were only used in one shipment :shock: Hence, we went back to the original design on the all new Colossus Nitro.

Anyhow, its kind of difficult to diagnosis withou seeing the motor since we dont know yet what motor you had and what parts you bought. if everything goes together and you were able to crank the motor, there shouldnt be any issue with part fitment. If the spring/pin is falling out the common cause will be the one way starter shaft. Did you get a new shaft along with the starter spring/pin? ITs usually required when switching crank/pin/spring.

Lastly, since the motor havent been starter after the rebuild, you can safely assume the internal are still in good condition. Please provide us with your order number and we will be glad to mail you a new starter shaft.
CEN Racing
Factory Support
http://www.cenracing.com
CEN Racing
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MonsterAir on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:30 am

Sorry but I did not order the parts through you guys. I used your website as a reference for the part numbers and ordered elsewhere..... Well I guess it seems I had bought a truck from that one batch because my original crank and starter plate are different. The fact that I didn't have the new updated starter shaft/plate is what destroyed my motor. I take 100% responsibility for the damage. I guess I should have asked some questions when the crank came in and was different but in my defense everything fit snug and they were the right part numbers. If I would have known about the change I would have gotten the new starter shaft. There is nothing on the engine parts page about possible different motors.
MonsterAir
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby MonsterAir on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:51 am

I'm trying to post a pic but for some reason it won't upload. Anyhow I didn't come here to ask for free parts just to let you know that there are some of us out here with this motor and we have no clue about any design changes. Anyone who attempts to replace the crank for some reason is in for some frustration. I guess only those who bought between 09-11 but still. I am one of those people lol.
MonsterAir
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby CEN Racing on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:35 am

Hi Matt

We are aware of the motor difference, hence, when customer order crank , backplate, starter shafts from us, we usually supply all the parts needed for a motor conversion.

Go ahead and email customerservice@cenracing.com with the pictures of the motor and receipt for the parts. I will speak with them and do our best to get you going again. Depending on the damage , we can probably swap out the motor for you.
CEN Racing
Factory Support
http://www.cenracing.com
CEN Racing
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MonsterAir on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Wow that is very generous of you and much appreciated! I will send over the pics now.
MonsterAir
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby HUFFDOG7.7 on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:15 pm

May I inquire as to how this was resolved?
HUFFDOG7.7
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Return to Customer Service / Tech Support