Pullstarts, rotostart, and breaking in a new GST/Nemesis 7.7

Post here if you have any questions about your CEN prodcut or need assistance on getting them going.

Moderator: CEN Racing

Re: Pullstarts, rotostart, and breaking in a new GST/Nemesis 7.7

Postby Abinder1771 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:48 pm

Man! I really wish I would have known about this heating the block up ahead of time. I bought my GST a year ago and had a hell of a time getting it to start. Good to know though. I do remember reading something about a heat method but didn't know what they were talking about. Now I know! Duh!
Aaron
Abinder1771
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby cj100570 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:03 pm

I'm on my second broken pullstarter and I still haven't been able to idle through my 1st tank on my GST. I find this a bit odd since I also own a Genesis which is over 2 years old and that pullstarter is a tank. Getting my 1st replacement through CS took forever. The strange thing is that it has happened on the 1st pull each time. The truck starts and then I find that the chord is detached. I've never had a broken pullstarter on any of my other 4 nitro trucks.
cj100570
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby fvj on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:59 am

Also, another tip to fire up a brand new motor is to remove the glow plug and aplly just a little wd40. Then pull the cord a couple of times before reassembling the plug. This will make your first start easier. If that is still not enough, loose the plug a 1/4 ~ 1/2 turn out. This will allow some compression to escape and make easier to pull the cord. In most cases the engine will still fire up even with the plug a little loose. Once the motor fires up, tight the plug again.
fvj
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby CEN Racing on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks for the tip FVJ!

We hightly recommend upgrading to the roto-tech start system after breaking in your GST / Nemesis engine. Pull Start's can be tedious to use, and it is very difficult to manage the amount of strength and torque when pulling multiple times.
CEN Racing
Factory Support
http://www.cenracing.com
CEN Racing
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr B on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:19 am

fvj wrote:Also, another tip to fire up a brand new motor is to remove the glow plug and aplly just a little wd40.
I wouldn't do this. Ever. Just as i wouldn't recommend using WD40 as a after-run oil. WD40, especially the pressurized canisters contains solvents to clean up, and loosen stuck stuff. This solvents break down the protective oil-layer inside the engine, and for a short time, prevents new oil-film to build up, leaving the engine in a worse, not better condition. You want to drop a bit of oil in your engine, use after run oil, or oil intended for methanol fuels.

(Yes, i know this IS an old thread. 5-56 & WD-40's usage in our engines are... debatable.)
B!
Mr B
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Return to Customer Service / Tech Support